Reply To: MTHFR


I do not have a lot of experience with this but have had psychiatrists prescribe deplin (as someone else said) while working with eating disorders and depression. If I was in this situation I would ask for homocysteine, after talking to the doctor. Here is a science based review from 2014.

At the end there is a a brief summary for the part related to nutrition and supplementation… “As a real geneticist, Charis Eng, MD, PhD, points out, none of this means genetic testing is necessary. For some problems, there are cheaper alternatives that give better information. If high homocysteine levels are suspected, the simple solution is a blood test. If the blood test bears this out, supplementation with vitamins such as B6, B12, and folate or folic acid can be recommended. If the levels are normal, nothing need be done, whether the mutation is present or not.