Resources: (Recommended by Members)
- The Disease Delusion Dr. Jeffrey Bland, Harper Wave, Publisher, 2013.
- Could It Be B-12? By Sally M. Pacholok, RN, BSN and Jeffrey J.Stuart, DO. Quill Driver books. 2011
- Nutrient Power; Heal Your Biochemistry and Heal Your Brain by William J.Walsh, PhD. Skyhorse publishing. 2012.
- Biochemical Individuality; The Basis for the Genetotrophic Concept by Roger J.Williams, PhD. Keats Publishing. Printed in 1956 (Wiley & Sons) , 1963, 1969 (University of Texas Press) , 1988, 1998.
- “The Diet Manual” by Jacqueline Larson MS RDN and Associates 2017
- Trish Dekker, “Nutrition & Recovery – a Professional Resource for Healthy Eating during Recovery from Substance Abuse”, 2000, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (Canada). 14 educational modules with “camera-ready” handouts. Available from: http://www.camhx.ca/Publications/CAMH_Publications/nutrition_recovery.html
- Renée Hoffinger, “The Recovery Diet”, 2012, Adams Media, Avon, MA. This book offers sound advice on diet supportive of recovery from alcoholism (which holds true for other addictive substances, as well). It includes a nice section on putting it all together in the kitchen, plus 12 weeks of menus with 2 new recipes for each day.
- Liz Scott, “The Sober Kitchen – Recipes and Advice for a Lifetime of Sobriety”, 2003, Harvard Common Press, Boston, MA. Written by a chef in recovery, the recipes and advice are divided into 3 stages of recovery. The 300-plus recipes range from fairly easy to more advanced but it’s as though the author is holding your hand and cheering you on right there in the kitchen. Unique items of interest include the section on “sober makeovers” (i.e., dishes traditionally made with alcohol, such as chicken marsala) and the well-researched response to those who would claim “But the alcohol all burns off.” (No, it doesn’t…).
- Hatcher A: Assessing a client’s nutritional status. Addiction Professional, 2006. Link to article: http://www.addictionpro.com/article/assessing-clients-nutritional-status
- http://www.drugabuse.gov/ – Website of NIDA (National Institute of Drug Abuse).Charged with research on the science of drug abuse and addiction and its dissemination.
- http://www.samhsa.gov/Substance – Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration – government agency charged with providing resources for the prevention and treatment for substance abuse and other mental health concerns.
- Leyse-Wallace, Ruth. Nutrition and Mental Health. Taylor and Francis, Inc., CRC Press. Boca Raton, FL. 2013.
- Carson, Ralph E. The Brain Fix. Health Communications, Inc. Deerfield Beach, Fla. 2012.
- Walsh, William J. Nutrient Power: Heal Your Biochemistry and Health Your Brain. Skyhorse Publishing, Inc. New York ,NY. 2012.
- Leyse-Wallace, Ruth. Linking Nutrition to Mental Health. iUniverse, Inc. Lincoln, NE. 2008.
- Lieberman, Harris R., Robin B. Kanarek and Chanda Prasad, editors. Nutritional Neuroscience. Taylor and Francis, Inc., CRC Press. Boca Raton, FL. 2005.
- The Metaparadigm of Clinical Dietetics: Derivations and Applications by Ruth Leyse- Wallace PhD, RD
- Support Your Mental Health with Good Nutrition By Ruth Leyse-Wallace PhD, RD
- Mental Health America http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/
- National Institute of Mental Health http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/
- National Alliance for the Mentally Ill – NAMI https://www.nami.org/
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention http://www.cdc.gov/mentalhealth/
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration – SAMSA http://blog.samhsa.gov/category/mental-health/#.VXhrt3YpC71
- Herrin, M and Larkin, M. Nutrition Counseling in the Treatment of Eating Disorders. Routledge. New York, NY. 2013.
- Kellogg, M. Counseling Tips for Nutrition Therapists workbook series. Kg Press Philadelphia. 2006-2015
- Tribole, E and Resch, E. Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Program That Works. Martins. New York, NY. 2012
- Setnick, Jessica. The Academy’s Pocket Guide to Eating Disorders. American Dietetic Association. 2011.
Academy for Nutrition and Dietetics Resources
- Practice Paper: Nutrition Intervention in the Treatment of Eating Disorders
- Position of the American Dietetic Association: Nutrition Intervention in the Treatment of Eating Disorders
- The Academy for Eating Disorders http://www.aedweb.org/
- National Eating Disorders Association http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/
- The International Association for Eating Disorder Professionals http://www.iaedp.com/
- The International Federation for Eating Disorder Dietitians http://www.eddietitians.com/
Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities:
- Rubin IL, Merrick J, et al. Rubin and Crocker 3rd Edition: Health Care for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities across the lifespan Dordrecht: Springer, 2016
- Ekvall S, Ekvall V. (2005) Pediatric Nutrition in Chronic Diseases and Developmental Disorders: Prevention, Assessment, and Treatment (2nded) . New York: Oxford University Press (updated edition pending)
- Group Home Cookbook, 3rd Edition by Jacqueline Larson M.S., R.D.N. PAGE PUBLISHING, INC. New York, NY, 2016
- Dietary Interventions in Austism Spectrum Disorders by Kenneth J.Aitken. Jessica Kingsley Publishers, 2009.Academy of Nutrition and Dietetic Resources
- American Dietetic Association (2010). Position of the American Dietetic Association: Providing Nutrition Services for People with Developmental Disabilities and Special Health Care Needs. . J Am Diet Assoc.. 110 (2):296-307.
- Cushing P, Spear D, Novak P, Rosenzweig L, Wallace LS, Conway C, Wittenbrook W, Lemons S, Medlen JG. (2012) Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Standards of Practice and Standards of Professional Performance for Registered Dietitians (Competent, Proficient, and Expert) in Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities. Journal of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics 112(9): 1454-1464
- Kaplan-Mayer, G The Kitchen Classroom Includes 32 visual recipes for children or adults with autism. Recipes are GFCF. Comes with a CD-Rom for each recipe.
- Guthrie Medlen, J . (2006) Cooking By Color: Recipes for Independence Phronesis Publishing, Portland, OR.
- Riesz, ED, Kassack, A. (2010) Let’s Cook! Healthy Meals for Independent Living, Appletree Press, Inc. Mankata, MN.
- Haveman MJ., Heller T, Lee LA, Maaskant MA, Shooshtari S, Strydom A. Major health risks in aging persons with intellectual disabilities: An Overview of recent studies. J PolicyPract Intellect Disabil 2010;7(1):59-69.
- Marks B, Sisirak J, Hsieh K. Health Services, health promotion and health literacy: Report from the state of the science in aging with developmental disabilities conference. Disabil Health J 2008;1(3):136-42.
- Oeseburg B, Dijkstra GJ, Groothoff JW, Reijneveld SA, Jansen DE. (2011) Prevalence of chronic health conditions in children with intellectual disability: a systematic literature review. Intellect Dev Disabil. 49(2):59-85.http://www.cfp.ca/content/57/5/541.full.pdf
- Sullivan WF, Berg JM, Bradley E, Cheetham T, Denton R, Heng J, Hennen B, Joyce D, Kelly M, Korossy M, Lunsky Y, McMillan S. Colloquium on guidelines for the primary health care of adults with developmental disabilities. Primary care of adults with developmental disabilities: Canadian consensus guidelines. Can Fam Physician 2011; 57(5):541-53, e154-68.
- World Health Organization (WHO). Ageing and intellectual disabilities -improving longevity and promoting healthy ageing: summative report. Geneva,Switzerland:WHO,2000.
- Management of mental ill health in people with autism
- National Organization for Rare Disorders http://www.rarediseases.org/
- Disability and obesity http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/disabilityandhealth/obesity.html
- CDC Developmental Disabilities
http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/developmentaldisabilities/index.htmGenetics Home Reference http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/
- Medline Plus: Metabolic Disorders https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/metabolicdisorders.htm
- The American Academy of Developmental Medicine and Dentistry (AADMD) provides a forum for healthcare professionals who provide clinical care to people with neurodevelopmental disorders and intellectual disabilities aadmd.org
- National Task Group on Intellectual Disabilities and Dementia Practices of the AADMD aadmd.org/ngt
- The Association for People Supporting Employment Provides disability resources. http://apse.org
Dietary Reference Intakes:
Diet Planning Guides:
Developmental Services Diet Manual
Dietary Reference Intakes:
Diet Planning Guides:
Food and Behavior Health Research
Heart Disease and Cholesterol
Nutrition for Health and Development
Alcohol and Nutrition
Vitamins and Supplements
Many of these resources are recommended by our members. BHN does not have editorial or other control over the journal content and does not endorse any particular product or service. The views expressed are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the policies and/or official positions of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.